About Endometrial Ablation
Endometrial Ablation is a minimally invasive, non-hormonal procedure designed to reduce or eliminate heavy periods by treating the lining of the uterus (the endometrium).
- Heavy Periods, also known as menorrhagia (pronounced men-or-AH-jah), is a surprisingly common and treatable condition, affecting approximately 1 in 3 women of reproductive age.324 It causes excessive menstruation that can interfere with daily activities.
- Medical experts suggest treating heavy periods with the least invasive methods first, such as hormone therapy or anti-inflammatory agents. If those methods are not effective, endometrial ablation may be considered.326
- Endometrial ablation can be effective for treating heavy periods.
- It’s for premenopausal women who do not plan to become pregnant in the future.
- As an outpatient procedure, most women go home the same day. It may be performed in a doctor’s office, surgery center, or hospital.
- Women are typically highly satisfied with treatment, which results in lighter periods or no periods at all.325
- Learn about types endometrial ablation procedures.
Other options are available to treat heavy periods. Speak with your doctor to discuss the best treatment option for you.